Drawing can be very tiring, stressful to me due to the long hours it takes to create and tell a story. However, there are reasons why I like it so much:
- Unlike illustration, it is the direct way to become creative. All you need is a pencil, a pen, and a bunch of coloring material, and you can start! Away from other professions (lots in the service sector), it is a direct form of expression.
- It is meditative; you can get away from the rest of life’s pressures and get lost in time, draw.
- Telling stories, bringing memories into paper.
- It is a great way to connect to people. I’ve been stopped so many times asking what I am doing (unfortunately, I get nervous or embarrassed because I tell myself I’m a beginner). It is a basic art-form, just as cooking is to food and family, that can bring people together.
- It is a reflection of my identity, my own work, that I can take pride, esteem, and ownership in. It makes me who I am.